3.01.2011

prosciutto & pear quesadillas


I made this little dish for the first time with my lovely friend, Shea of Tenacious Taste, and it was so good I had to make it again for the boyfriend.  This time, I added a simple dipping sauce (also partially thanks to Shea, as she gave me the yummy jam I used), and substituted the gouda we originally used for some havarti I had on hand.  It was a great alternative to a sandwich, and less calories with the whole wheat tortillas.  Also, pears are in season now, so their sweetness was the perfect compliment to the salty prosciutto and creamy havarti.

Prosciutto & Pear Quesadillas 
2 whole wheat tortillas
Half a sliced pear
3 to 4 slices of prosciutto depending on thickness (I prefer mine to be sliced thin)
1 cup havarti
A splash of extra virgin olive oil

Cream Cheese & Savory Jam
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup of any jam (I used a sweet onion and balsamic jam, but any would do - a good fig preserve would be amazing!)

On one of the tortillas, layer 1/2 a cup of havarti, followed by the sliced pears and prosciutto.  Add the rest of the cheese on top of that to make sure it all glues together.  Place quesadilla in a heated pan (medium works just fine) with a splash of olive oil (or butter - your choice).  When the first side is nice and browned, drizzle a some olive oil on the un-cooked side and gently flip the quesadilla.  Once the cheese melts and the tortilla is browned, you're all set to slice it up and serve it with the mixed cream cheese and jam!

On a side note, if you're having guests over and want to serve all the yummy food you've made on something chic, head over to your local thrift store or Goodwill and pick up some old silver plates.  I've found places like that always have a ton to choose from, and most of them are under $4.00 (The one pictured above was only $1.00).


xx
A
Follow lovely little vices.

No comments: